If you live in Brisbane, you’ll know that it is only one day away from the infamous Ekka Race Day – where frocks and fillies are a plenty. For all the race day rookies out there, our panel of experts here in the office have you covered with a list of things to make sure you get through the day alive.
1. Choose your shoes wisely. Not everyone has the luxury of watching the races from a marquee, so if you are the majority of the population and are spending most of the day down near trackside on the grass – stilettos are NOT WISE. If you think walking and losing a shoe on the way is some sort of fun time thing, then go right ahead. But don’t say we didn’t tell you so. Playing tug-of-war with your high heels is not attractive and will lead to some sort of embarrassing story/photo/Facebook update in the morning.
2. Choose your dress wisely. Going to the races does not mean you can wear the shortest dress in your wardrobe. It’s a very long day, so if you know that you will be constantly pulling down a reg rider (a dress that rides up more times than staying put – not an actual jockey guys!), we suggest that you choose another outfit option. Longevity is key gal pals!
3. You will not be ridiculed if you are not wearing a head piece. There’s no law saying that it is compulsory. If it doesn’t match the ensemble, don’t wear one. We all know it needs to be a package deal.
4. Pack spare band aids/gel soles/hair ties/hollywood tape. Be as prepared as you can be. You do not want to be that girl that is taking off her shoes mid day, or flashing some poor punter mid bet.
5. Eat something. The old drinking adage that “eating is cheating”, is WRONG. If you want to last the whole day, then we are begging you to line your belly with something at least once during the day.
6. Punt responsibly. No, we were not forced to say that by Sportingbet.com or Tommy Waterhouse. It’s definitely a fun bonus to the day, to attempt to back a winner – but don’t go overboard and put all your savings on a horse because its’ name is a mixture of your favourite GOT character and the first street you lived on.
7. Have fun. That’s what the day is meant for, so go on and make those mems!!
If you are still searching for an outfit – don’t forget to check out our INDOOROOPILLY and PLAZA stores, before it’s too late!!
Love & Luck,
Team MB x